Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Things to Look for in a Baker

Actually, just the one thing. Apparently, what you really need to look for in a baker is the utmost discretion when it comes to his/her clients.

After much debate over the past weekend, my parents came to the conclusion that we didn't need to look for another amateur baker, but could go ahead and put the deposit down on the cake from the professional baker. Since the bakery is not open on Mondays, my mom called today to get them to fax her a copy of the contract and give them her credit card number for the deposit. The girl at the front desk said she would send it on over . . .

Then the owner's husband overheard the conversation.

"Ma'am, your name isn't on the contract (even though we have the same last name), so we're going to have to call your daughter so that she can authorize us to fax you the contract."

"I just want to put down the deposit, why can't you send the contract."

"Well, we have to be discreet. We wouldn't want anyone to sabotage someone else's wedding cake."

"OK - I don't want to change the cake, won't that be ok."

"Well, then you could copy her design."

And around and around, until finally he said he would have to give me a call. Except I was driving home and still had the ringer on my phone off, so he had to leave a voicemail. When I got home, I finally got the message and called back. The girl at the reception desk said she would get with my mom as soon as possible.

No comments: