Friday, March 28, 2008

Why You Need A Cake Professional

There is a reason why people who are not professional cake bakers have significantly (so I thought) lower prices than professionals. When last my fiance and I were in Houston, we arranged to have two cake tastings, one with Who Made the Cake, and the other with a woman that works with my sister.

1. My sister called me the week before to tell me that "Susie" had given her a cake that day instead, because she had forgotten which weekend we were coming into town. I see this as a bad thing (though lateness has been a trend http://catholicweddinggirl.blogspot.com/2007/11/engagement-photo-session.html ); you wouldn't really want your wedding cake showing up a week early, or worse, a week late.

2. The first cake was covered in scrollwork. To the point where you couldn't see the actual cake.

3. We were only able to taste one cake, which is a downer, but I understand that since she's not making multiple cakes every week, she doesn't have time to make a tasting cake of every flavor. --My bridezilla self thought she would want to make multiple flavors, but it was too much to do.

4. The cake was not as good as the professional cake. I am sure this is not the case with all "make-it-at-home" bakers, but it was with ours. We had asked to taste a raspberry filling in the cake, and when I saw the filling, I knew what she had done. The filling had the consistency of the jelly that comes in the squeeze bottle. I have had cakes where people use preserves as the filling, and they are quite tasty, but jelly just doesn't work.

No comments: