Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breaking Up is Hard to Do . . .

While the title may be misleading, the wedding has not been cancelled. Rather, I finally had to dump one of the cake bakers. I got an email on Friday from the woman who works with my sister asking if I still wanted her to do the cake, since she hadn't heard from me since she emailed me the price.

Well, I waited until Monday morning, because really, how do you tell someone that you really don't like their cake that much, and that you found a better one. So I did what I think was the best option - I lied. I told her that my parents had really wanted us to use someone else. I didn't want to say it was me, so I blamed it on the general unreasonableness of parents, which I think is not unexpected when it comes to weddings.

Despite my attempts to avoid awkwardness, it occurred nonetheless. After I emailed the baker, she emailed right back asking if I could return her cake plate and cover. Crap. I mean, not really my fault, since I don't live in Houston, and we tasted the cake at my sister's house. I emailed sissy dearest and asked if she still had it.

"Oh, yeah. It's sitting in my office, I just haven't walked it over to her office yet."

"Maybe you could do that today, so she doesn't construct a voo-doo doll of me."

"Well, I can't do it today. Then she'll think I had it in my office and just didn't bring it to her. That would be awkward."

No comments: