Thursday, March 13, 2008

Music Lady Meeting

Today I had a meeting with the music woman at the church. Originally, I was going to go to the meeting by myself, but since my mom and I were going to go to the reception site afterwards, she decided to come with me, but not to worry, she didn't have an opinion. I felt bad that I had scheduled the meeting with her, because she looked really tired. She explained that she had been working all week to get ready for Easter Week next week.

The first thing she asked was if I had any ideas for the music. I didn't know I was going to have to do any real preparation for the meeting. I had even asked her if we (my fiance and I) needed to do anything to prepare for the meeting, but she told us that we just needed to bring our selections for the readings. I hadn't thought about anything because I thought that I would be given Option A or Option B, or maybe Option C. Luckily she did have some ideas, and ran through some options with us. All in all, it only took 45 minutes.

For a while, we apparently didn't have any "meat" in the musical composition of the ceremony. We had worked through the psalm we had picked, then the processional and recessional. I picked out all instrumental pieces, so the music lady was somewhat disappointed that I didn't have anything else for the cantor to sing. Then when we picked out the song for the mothers to walk in on, we told her that we probably didn't want to have words, because there are several emotional people in the wedding party that might break down in tears if they heard a moving song while they were walking down the aisle.

Luckily, she recommended that we have the cantors sing during the prelude, and picked a song that would be good as a duet. My mom loved the idea, thank goodness she was there. She also really wanted the the cantors to sing because she thinks that everyone will be talking really loudly before the ceremony starts, which she realllllly hates.

No comments: