Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cake Tasting Round 2

Last week I was able to go to Houston to meet with the professional wedding cake baker who has an amazing reputation. After many phone calls to the bakery (http://catholicweddinggirl.blogspot.com/2008/01/do-you-actually-make-cakes.html), I was finally able to get an appointment for Thursday morning. Luckily my sister was able to take a long lunch from work, so that she could come with my mother and I to the cake consultation.


Our appointment was scheduled for 11:15 in the morning, and despite a few "near catastrophes" with the driving directions (watch out for the driveway Mom), we made it to the shop around 11:10. Then we waited for twenty five minutes for the bride and mother in front of us to finish their appointment, which started at 10:15. I really hope that they were late, if only that I don't think that anyone should spend more than an hour discussing the design for the wedding cake. The real problem is that there aren't any chairs in the "outer chamber" where you wait to talk to the baker, just tables of sample cakes, so the three of us had to stand around for twenty minutes.

After we went in to the baker's office, everything went swimmingly. We looked at books with pictures of beautiful cakes, but most importantly we got to taste! All of the cakes were delicious, especially the butter raspberry cake with raspberry fillng and buttercream icing. I could eat that cake all day, I mean, I wouldn't fit into my dress, but I could eat that cake all day. The baker was gracious enough to let me take my two favorite pieces with me so that my fiance could taste them when he got into town the next afternoon.

No comments: