Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Cake is Doomed

I think that the cake is doomed.


As I have posted before (http://catholicweddinggirl.blogspot.com/search/label/Wedding%20Cake), we have not been having the best luck with the cakes. This week, I thought that our luck had turned. I was able to get an appointment, though the groom will not be able to attend, with the bakery that had seemed impossible to get an appointment with. I was also able to set up a day that would work with the woman who worked with my sister, but also makes cakes.


At this point, we were trying to cover all of the bases, so we stopped by the Central Market in Houston while we were in town last weekend. I had talked to someone earlier, and they said to just stop by anytime and ask to talk to the baker. We stopped by right after the store opened on Saturday morning and asked to talk to the baker. She apologized, but told us that she was too busy to talk to us, could we come back Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday? Yargh.

She was able to give us a price list for the cakes, which listed each layer, the number of servings and price. I was shocked - I thought that the cake would be somewhat less than the wedding bakeries; Central Market is just a grocery store. I broke down the prices by serving, and it was $3.50/serving for a buttercream, but $6.50/serving for a cake with fondant. Central Market was the same price for buttercream as the other bakery we had been trying to get an appointment with, but it was $2.00 more for a serving with fondant.

No comments: