Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wedding Planning Weekend?

What a frustrating weekend. We were supposed to go to Houston to meet with our Deacon for the "last" pre-Canaa session before the real last one over the summer to go over the logistics of the ceremony. We arrived at the church a few minutes early and checked in with the receptionist.

"Are you here to meet with the deacon?"
"Yes."
"Oh, well, he's not coming in today, because he has a cold. I called the rest of his meetings, but I couldn't find your number. He'll call you next week to reschedule."

Darn it. I mean, it was annoying, but you can't get mad at a deacon, can you, especially when he's sick?

Our next appointment of the day was the cake tasting. We went to the bakery of the day, which I had scoped out online because it had a storefront near the house (which my mother had deemed important). My fiance had expressed that he was doubtful, only five flavors of cake were featured at the tasting, but I thought that would be plenty.

When we arrived at the shop, we waited for a few minutes until someone came out (she never introduced herself until she wrote her name on the prospective contract at the end) who turned out to be Monica. My fiance and I had already talked about the design for the cake, so we blew through that portion of the meeting - on to the actual tasting.

Monica went back to the back room and brought back three kinds of cake with what looked like two different kinds of pink toothpaste. We were told that these were the standard flavors and if we wanted to taste the other flavors, we could order and pay for small sample cakes. Excuse me?

Anyway, we tasted the cakes and the toothpastes, which we found out were raspberry and strawberry fillings. To be honest, the cakes weren't OK, but when we found out the prices (in comparison to some others that I had seen), they weren't that good. The chocolate cake was pretty dry, too. We left with the prospective contract in hand, but definitely did not put down a deposit. Yet another fruitless meeting for the weekend.

No comments: