Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Cake, The Cake

Shortly after we went to the horrible bakery that almost served us moldy cake, my sister went to dinner with my parents and said she had several ideas on where else to get a cake. I'm not sure why she didn't tell em about them sooner, but at least I know now.

Her first thought was that there is a woman at her office who makes wedding cakes. She's done many out of the office, and most recently, for a daughter of one of the partners. Since this dinner, my sister asked her how much a cake like the one I want would cost, and she said it would be about half of what moldy bakery would charge. She offered to set up a tasting the next time we were in town. The only problem I would see is with our reception site, which has already proven to be a bit "difficult." I would hate to send in my vendor list only to have the wonderful ladies at the reception site tell me that we couldn't use the woman as a baker two months before the wedding.

The other idea was to use Central Market as a baker, which is a high end grocery store that makes delicious prepared food and desserts. I talked to a friend of ours and she said that they have delicious cakes, and weren't that expensive. I'm somewhat relieved, because I had dismissed using a grocery store as a baker, because I really dislike the sugary icing that most grocery stores put on their cakes. The decorations that most grocery stores showcase are pretty basic or, at least, not very "stylish," like a basket weave, which just wouldn't go with the overall tone of the wedding.

No comments: