Friday, January 4, 2008

Bridesmaid Dresses. . . Again

Yesterday I woke up with the goal of checking out the color of a particular bridesmaid dress my sisters had found on the holiday vacation - I'm not a complete couch potato, I'm a graduate student and classes haven't started yet.

I popped into Belle Saison, one of my favorite places, since I found my gown there, to see if I could at least see the swatch for the dress. Kim was busy, so while I waited, I looked through the racks to see if I could find the dress. I did. It was one of the dresses we had ruled out at the store because I couldn't tell if the color was right. When Kim was done with her other customer, I asked if I could see the "apple taffeta" swatch. She had it, but since it's the size of two postage stamps, it's hard to tell what it would look like on an entire dress. Luckily Kim said she had another green that was pretty similar. The only name I could give the color would be chartreuse, which is not close to the clover I'd like the girls to wear, it just looked too "neon-ey." We held the swatch up to the dress and the two were a pretty close match. Boo.

My next stop was a women's apparel store, because I had seen that they had a line of bridesmaids dresses from last season on sale. I thought I would stop by to check the green color and also make sure that the satin wasn't too clingy, I know none of the bridesmaids want to wear something that shows every little ripple (even if there's just one). I walked into the store, and no one said a word to me; it was like I wasn't even there. The color of the green would have worked for the wedding, but the store didn't have the style I had seen online. The stores must have already received the new lines, in which the dresses run $188, which isn't too bad, but the other dresses we had seen at Belle Saison cost less. I'm not looking to make the girls pay umpteen billion dollars for a dress they'll only wear once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a friend’s idea to have give every 16-year-old girl her fantasy Flower Girl Dress Wedding. Then with that out of her system she can later choose her life partner as an adult without confusing being a bride with a serious commitment to a marriage.