Sunday, October 5, 2008

I'm in Love

I'm in love with my new jeans. The jean situation has been coming to a head over the last week. My favorite/best fitting pair of jeans has been heading down the path to being ousted for a while. There is a weird bleach "dot" on the right thigh, below the pocket, which hasn't bothered me, but at one point bothered my husband, but he forgot that it existed when I listed it as one of the reasons for getting new jeans.

Other than that, the jeans are becoming rather worn, to the point where they were once a little thinner than other denim, now they are paper thin, and I would freeze my tush off once it starts getting officially cold. In conjunction with the paper thinness, the color has started to wear out of them, so while they were once a more "formal" dark blue, they have officially passed into "casual" blue.
(from here)
My friend J and I went over to Chelsea Market the other day, where we happened upon a sample sale, where they were selling jeans - lovely jeans from seven, true religion, william rast (yes, justin timberlake's line), and a few other people. Not wanting to pass up our first sample sale, we popped in and tried on a pair or two each. After finding a pair that looked delightful, I wandered around with the $105 jeans in my hand, debating whether or not I should buy them. I eventually decided that, while I could probably spend more on this pair of jeans, they still needed altering, and once I get a job, I could always get another pair.
Cut to Saturday morning, and when my hubby asks what I would want to do for the day, I answer - get a new pair of jeans. His face falls when I add that I want to look at Old Navy. He does not yet understand that I was raised by a very cheap person, so I have issues wrapping my head around expensive clothes, while he tends to avoid buying anything inexpensive, because it means that whatever it is must be crap.
Anyway, I pulled 5 or 6 pairs off of the racks at Old Navy while the hubs wandered down to the basement, where the men's clothing section was (there are 4 levels to this Old Navy). For the first time ever, I think, the first pair of jeans I tried on was the winner. They fit so perfectly that I did not need to try on another pair. The lucky jeans are the "Flirt" cut, in dark blue, and they have flap pockets, and the teensiest bit of stretch.

(Here's the link)
PS - I'm a bit confused by the online description: "Throw them a curve when it comes to your choice in denim. Arched yoke with flap pockets in the back flatters your curves. Slightly higher rise in the rear keeps all your bases covered." What exactly are my "bases" and why would they want to pop out of the top of my jeans? Isn't the problem that they usually pop out the bottom, giving you two cheeks, as Stacy and Clinton would so readily point out?

No comments: