Monday, September 29, 2008

Football Widow

I'm not sure how many of us are out there, but I think that it is critical to find out if you will be a football widow before you get married. Not only does our television magically turn itself to football from Saturday lunchtime to Monday night, but my husband is a Buffalo Bills fan. Some of you may not understand that, but the Bills have been heart-breakingly awful the three seasons that I have known my husband. That is, until now, when they are undefeated through four games - the last time they were this good was in 1992.
The problem is that the Bills were never on television in Texas, but a quick trip to the wings restaurant or local bar with Direct TV solved that problem. We thought that there might be a few more games offered in NYC, since Buffalo is somewhat close, but there haven't been any yet, which means that it's four hours in a bar drinking $5.50 beers (one day I might get used to the price of beer here).
Anyway, my husband loves football, which is why the house went into panic mode when yesterday morning, the cable box went into error message mode. Yes, at 10 am on a Sunday, the box decided to crap out after three weeks of service. Loud expletives ensued. Calls to the support line were made. More expletives ensued when he found out he couldn't get a replacement box until Tuesday. I think we'll be ok, after watching the late games at the bar yesterday, but I think Mr. D was a little disgruntled about the lack of high definition.

1 comment:

Skywalker said...

Your husband had a little viewing setback and he'll be okay (that was funny) and you'll treasure your alone time - I do.

I'm college football fanatic - All things Auburn University but the moment the NFL starts, I head to the other room. I'm getting used to catching up on my shows via TIVO and movies via Netflix during my "zen" moments on Sunday and Monday evenings.

This week, I had a conference call with the service organization I give my time to. Thank goodness too lest I would be left to amuse myself. Its hard because you want to spend time with your husband but you realize "he needs his space too".

I think when the college and basketball seasons start, I have more "zen" time - more books, movies, and girlie (Ugly Betty) tv for me!