Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I win!

The contest that I have won is getting my wedding party gifts before my fiance. To be fair, he has a few more to pick out than I do (4 groomsmen and 3 ushers to my 4 bridesmaids and 1 reader), but he has only purchased two so far. I finished yesterday, if you count finished as having ordered everything.
I cannot take all the credit for myself, though, as I did have help. I wanted to get my bridesmaids some jewelry that they could wear to the wedding. My sister suggested that I get everyone something different, so they didn't look like clones. I wanted to get everyone a pearl-y necklace, since I thought that would look nice and be a little more special.
Right. Pearls are expensive. There are several inexpensive sites that I looked at - the most unique designs are at www.cathaygems.com, and I liked unique, since I thought a plain pearl strand might be too boring. I started looking around on overstock.com, and they had a lot of necklaces that were what I was looking for, as well as earrings to match, that were near my price range. A few were a little more than what we had budgeted, so I was waiting for them to go on deeper discount. Then, magically, I read an article on the New York Times online, and there was a 10% off coupon for your entire order on Overstock - definitely worth it.
The problem with winning this contest is that now my fiance has removed himself from the responsibility of getting gifts for my brother and his brother, so the hunt starts again.

2 comments:

Mia Jude said...

Hello there...may I ask what the date is of your wedding? Mine is next May of 2009. I have been engaged for almost one year now and I haven't done any planning in the past year because I was busy finishing my senior year of college. But now that the summer is in full swing I have been going wedding crazy! I have already bought all my bridesmaids' gifts but I still want to buy them a couple more important things. My fiance hasn't even thought about what he wants to get his groomsmen. We have 8 attendants on each side: 6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, 2 junior bridesmaids and 2 junior groomsmen. Good luck with all of your planning!

catholicweddinggirl said...

Honestly, I think the gifts for the wedding party could wait until later. I'm getting married in August, so we started looking at them two months before. One thing you might want to watch out for is that the presents might not be "in" when the wedding rolls around. Just be sure that you and your fiance have a mutual understanding of the budget, which is always fun to talk about.