Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Catering Fiasco

I am ready to cry. There is too much going on, so on top of selling my car, packing the apartment, and having lengthy conversations with my mother about how many and which M&M's to order (despite my thinking that we had already discussed this), my caterer emails me to see how things are going. Even though she told me I don't need to have final numbers to her until next week, I told her the new numbers and some of the general layout then said I would get back to her next week.

She emails back that she will have to adjust the per person pricing, because those numbers are based on the higher number. Isn't that what per person pricing means? The amount that is charged per person? Much less, at what point can you change the terms of an agreement? I told her to send the forms and I'll send them to my parents. She upped the rate by 30%, and somehow the total was exactly the same, despite the food price being different. I called and asked, and she explained that food costs more when you order less (should this be my problem?) and that he calculations must have been wrong on the tax and gratuity (should I have to pay for her math class?).

Yargh and double yargh.

1 comment:

Ms. 122 said...

bad vendors seems to be the name of the game. check out Lady T's post on her invitation disaster (link below). did you have a contract signed with the caterer? deposits paid, etc? i would review all of your correspondence and contracts to see if she has the right to do this or not. i can see how it might affect the price per person, but if you're going from say an estimate of 120 to an actual number of 100, it shouldn't have too much of an effect on the price, right? at least that's my thinking. maybe you should just get the extra food and drive around handing it out to homeless people, or donate it to a compost project, or something after the reception. heh. ;)

http://4thelackofmoney.blogspot.com/