Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bridesmaid Dresses (Really?)

One of the things I love about having a gmail account are the "personalized" ads that run across the top of my screen. Most of the time, the ads can be helpful - if I email my mom about favors, a website that has cheap favor boxes will show up in that bar, and I won't even have to search for it. They can be silly though, as well; one time my mom emailed me my brother's floor plan in college (can we say obsessive :) ), and the ads that came up were for satin sheets, which is slightly creepy, or at least weird.

Recently, as I was emailing my bridesmaids about something, a website popped up that advertised a very common company that is now offering a line of bridesmaid dresses. This was not for Ann Taylor, who had previously bid the most for these ads, but no, the new line of bridesmaid dresses is from Victoria's Secret. Curious, I clicked on the link (Click Here) - what would these dresses look like?

The dresses are nothing new, Victoria's Secret has just grouped all of their same-old, jersey knit, slightly slutty to slutty dresses on one page and called them "Bridesmaid Dresses." I would like to say that I would advise most people against jersey knits for their bridesmaid dresses, unless you are getting married in some tropical locale. I mean, jersey just never looks as flattering in real life as in a magazine, it might show more pantie lines than unlined satin. I really just can't describe how "wrong" I feel about these dresses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I did the same thing when it popped up on mine and yes, slightly slutty VS dresses would not work for most weddings, especially one in the catholic church! (my fiance is catholic so I am planning a catholic wedding too! Looking forward to our engagement encounter weekend coming up :) ) I wonder if this new marketing scheme will up their sales? And even more I wonder if some poor bride is going to think that those dresses are ok to have her maids wear... only time will tell.

Jenna said...

I wasn't very impressed by the VS options either. Can't they branch out just a little bit? They'll always be a mail-order catalog store ot me.

Just wanted to let you know that I've been reading and I will be featuring a link to your blog on Sunday!

Skywalker said...

That's so wrong and tacky! I remember in high school, a friend wanted to wear one of VS dresses to graduation - she had to be talked out of or she wouldn't be allowed to cross the stage!

I'm over my VS stage in life.

Mia Jude said...

Hello Wedding Girl!
I just thought I'd drop by and say hello. I've come across your blog and have been reading it because I myself am a Catholic bride to be and am just interested in what other brides are going through! Good Luck and feel free to read my blog!