Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thank Goodness I Don't Bake Cakes for a Living

I just met with the cake person at baker's. I only had half an hour set aside for the appointment, because I only wanted to talk about changing the size, the flavor of the cake, and make sure I had given her good pictures so that she could copy the design from the beading on the dress onto the cake.

We wanted to nix the groom's cake because our caterer is including chocolate fountains with our dinner, so we didn't think that people would need as much dessert. Our baker does not feel the same way. She thinks that "fruit cannot replace cake." Obviously, but we were still including enough for everyone to have a piece.

Then I told her we wanted to do two flavors in the bride's cake. "Well, people are going to want one of each flavor," she says. I ignore the urge to argue with her about how cake intake could possibly be regulated at the reception and asked if we could do chocolate in addition to the plain butter cake. Now, it's been a few days since the consultation, but I think she said that we couldn't do it because "it wouldn't work." As in, she made it sound like there would be structural issues. Anyway, I chose a different flavor, NOT chocolate, to be the flavor on the other half of the cake. Then she said, "It sounds like you're just trying to do the same thing as a groom's cake, but in the other cake." Well, in a way, but the groom has decided he doesn't need a separate cake with a faux cigar box and chocolate-covered strawberries on it because the MOB is having fits about the cost of the cake, so I just wanted him to have a flavor that HE got to choose in the cake. So there, baker woman.

No comments: